Happy St. Patty's Day, friends!
HI! wow, amazing responses to the video I posted yesterday about Donna Simpson, the 600 lb woman who is aiming to gain nearly 400 lbs to put her at 1000 lbs! I think we all agreed that this was a bit extreme, harmful to her health and also to her family. People can do crazy things with their bodies to gain the attention of others, whether that means starving yourself or like Donna, the latter.
Onto today. I had a great workout this morning! As I mentioned in my Monday post, I am aiming to gain some major strength especially in my upper body. To do so, when i workout with my trainer, we are delegating each week to either upper or lower body, so the other days of the week I will work the other part of my body I didn't work with him
Workout Schedule Currently
Monday-upper body w/ trainer OR lower body with trainer
Wed-Lower body workout OR upper body (depending on what I do with my trainer on Monday)
Friday-Upper or lower (depending) & light cardio or just light cardio (very light)
*** I always incorporate CORE into my workouts
My lower body workout today
10-each leg, 20 total) 15 lb body bar
Step up with Deadlift
8lb, 10 reps (each leg)
Rotation Box Jumps
10 reps (each side) 3 risers
Ball wall squats
12 with 10 second hold at end (hold 5lb DB)
Side Lying Abductions on SB
20 reps (body weight)
Leg Lifts with pulse at top
Plyo Lunges with a Sprint Take off
10 each leg, then sprint
Leg lifts with pulse at top
Single Leg Squats (stand on box)
15 each leg , 12 lb body bar
Side lying oblique crunches
15 each side
Med Ball Squat/diagonal cross
6 lb med ball, 15 reps
Crunch with leg lift
12 lb body bar
Rear Lunge (on cable machine)
4lb med ball, 20 reps each leg
Crunch w/ leg lift
12 lb body ball
Pendulum (1 foot reach down, back up)
6lb med ball
Breakfast, I made when I came home from my workout
- 1/3 C oats
- 1/4 C wheat bran
- 2 eggwhites beaten in
- chia seeds
- Stevia extract
- Frozen raspberries and blueberries
- Naturally More PB
Lunch was a roasted turkey sandwich on Whole wheat.
- Roasted low sodium turkey breast
- Baby romaine
- Chiptole Hummus
- Yellow mustard
Yum. Hit the spot! I felt like I was in elementary school again :)
a GREEN salad. (thats my green for St. Patty's day!!)
- 1/4 C rolled oats cooked in water
- 1/2 scoop BSN Lean Dessert protein mixed into the oats
- 1 6oz Chobani
- Better n' PB
- Sugar free Smuckers.
A naval! It has been so long since I have had a juicy orange, but I was craving one today!
The only problem was that the skin was SO THICK (TWSS) The orange wasn't as big as I'd hoped (TWSS) sorry, I couldn't help myself, again
I was a bottomless pit today! I had 1/4 of this chocolate peppermint Luna bar about an hour later
I tried a new product with my dinner tonight. Chicken, barley and vegetable soup.
I loved the large chunks and variety of veggies in here (zuchinni, peas, yellow squash, carrots) The taste was OK, but the chicken in this soup actually scared me. I merely looked at it and I really was a bit freaked out by the color (it was dark, purple looking) and so that threw me off. I couldn't take another bite. Sadly, this was not on my buy again list from Trader Joes.
I did make a stellar....wrap!
- Chipotle hummus
- 1 Boca Flame broiled veggie burger (love these all mashed up in wraps!)
I tried this new product I picked up form the store yesterday. Corn Thins
great stats for 2 corn thins!
I had some with PB
Then finshed it off with a PB and jelly sandwich! YUM, loved these. They were crunchy and not salty. This was the perfect post dinner snack that made up for my 'not so great' soup
Thats my day, kiddies. Currently watching Ke$ha on AMerican Idol. I LOVE HER!
- I also am dying to see Lady Gaga July 1st at the TD Banknorth Garden in Boston! the tickets right now are STARTING at $175!! A bit pricey, but shes worth it, no?
Workout Tip of the day!
One of the best post-workout options is chocolate milk. Most prepared chocolate milk beverages are made with 1% or 2% milk, but you could also create your own fat-free chocolate milk by adding some chocolate syrup to regular skim milk. This will provide you with the benefits of carbohydrates, while giving you the optimal protein source found in milk.
Here’s why post-workout chocolate milk tops the list when it comes to fueling yourself after a hard session at the gym
- PROTEIN CONTENT. Every cup contains between 8 and 11 grams of protein, Ideally, you’ll want to consume between 15 and 25 grams of protein after a workout, which equates to 500 to 750 ml of chocolate milk.
- Another reason why post-workout chocolate milk is beneficial is because cow’s milk contains about 80% casein protein content and 20% whey protein content. This is ideal because the whey protein is fast-acting, allowing amino acids to get right into the muscle tissue, while the casein protein is digested slower, providing a steady stream of amino acids over a lengthier period of time.
- CARBOHYDRATE CONTENT. The total carbohydrate count will vary depending upon the brand you choose, with most coming in around 20 to 25 grams of carbohydrates. This sugar will cause a spike in insulin levels, driving the glucose molecules into the muscle tissue and replenishing the energy stores for your next workout. Without this insulin spike, you’re going to be looking at a slower recovery period, which could mean more time out of the gym.
- Who is your favorite on American Idol
- Do you think I am crazy for wanting to see Lady Gaga for $175?
- Do you pay attention to your meals and foods around your workouts? What is your favorite pre or post workout meal?