Heys guys! Happy Tuesday, one day closer to the weekend, right? So I worked a double shift today and left my camera cord at work!! I am so sad. I do have pics from the day but the next couple days will be sporadic until I get my cord back.
Yesterday I got the SWEETEST mail from my girl, Lizzy She knew how much I Loved the mandarin iced tea mix I won in her giveaway so she sent me some lemon ones to sample. (which I loved!) Thank you Lizzy for having the biggest heart and your generosity!
I was so excited about last nights dinner because it featured FRESH cod from Whole Foods. It was marinated in soy ginger and I topped it with honey dijon mustard and garlic. On the side I roasted some brocolli with olive oil, salt and pepper, a small sweet potato (baked in the microwave) and ketchup!
Perfectly roasted cod!
Blurry sweet potato and ketsup! I had some left over frozen yogurt for some dessert!
This ruled my morning. I did the plyometric DVD today. No matter how many times I do the same DVD, I go ALL out, and there is always some move I forget, and when I get to it I think to myself "HOLY SH*T" Plainly put, I was sweaty and wore a gray t-shirt so that was a pretty sight to say the least. Before the workout I had 1/2 banana for some fuel. I always get so scared to drink water during the workouts so during our 'water breaks' I take a SMALL sip! enough to get wet, but not to quench becuase then we go RIGHT back into the jumping.
Tomorrow my friend and I are doing the upper body weight training DVD which is a bonus in our kit. It uses dumbbells, and I am super excited about it!!
See YOU tomorrow!!
Protein Oats! 1/2 C oatbran, 1/ 2 scoop Protein powder, 1/2 banana, water, stevia, 1 TBSP chia seeds and frozen blueberries. I add the protein powder when the oats are almost done, then nuke again for about 30 seconds so it all gets hot!
CInnamon creme swirl coffee with skim and Truvia
I had a SOYmazing muffin a couple hours later. WHen I do INSANITY in the morning, my hunger is through the roof. All of the interval training just keeps my metabolism cranking!
Cameo apple and acai siggis! (first time trying this flavor!)
I had just about 1/2 C Kashi for some crunch. Thoughts on this flavor? Not my favorite (hard to believe since I love siggis!!) I think that it tasted too bitter and not fruity enough. Oh well
Some roasted almonds for some healthy fats!
I came home and immediately got down to BIZZniss making a salad dressing.
- TBSP olive oil
- TBSP rice wine vinegar
- Dijon Mustard
- few squirts honey
poured over my veggie filled salad!
This was my protein source of choice! Soy Boy Italian marinated tofu! I love this stuff, but rarely get it because it is quite pricey. This week it was on sale at Whole Foods!
Layer 1: Ezekial bread toasted with Laughing Cow
Layer 2: Blanket of sprouts
Layer 3: Tomater slice
YUMS. Loved the flavors in here. This was the best open faced sandwich I have had in SO long!
Before I had to go to my second shift, I decided to whip up my own frappucino! (note, I was not a huge fan of this almond milk, it tastes NOTHING like unsweetened almond breeze, I just got it because it was on sale but I did not like the taste of it!)
- 1/2 C almond milk
- 1/2 C cold water
- 6 ice cubes
- 10 drops NuStevia vanilla flavored
- 1 1/2 packets instant coffee ( I also NEVER have instant coffee, last week in Boston when we had no clean drinking water, I freaked so I stocked up on some instant mixes to mix with my bottled water!)
Mix in blender and BLEND
Result? Frothy, icey goodness!!
I want to talk about booty training! Yes, thats right…Tips to train those glutes!
Lets talk anatomy for just a second. The gluteus Maximus is the largest muscle in the entire body. It is large, thick and in a quadrilateral shape. The glute is a major extensor of the hip joint. It extends at the thigh and hip and helps in lateral rotation.
Often when you are doing glute exercises, your thighs tend to take over. It is a common problem when people are trying to train and build their glutes. One of the major reasons this happens is that some of the most effective glute building exercises are amoung the most effect thigh building exercises (squats, lunges, leg press etc)
If your glutes already have a hard time getting involved in exercises, performing more exercises won't help you out too much! You've got to properly target your training to make sure the glutes get worked more than the thighs or you simply WILL NOT be able to maximize your glute development
- Be conscious of your glutes and always SQUEEZE during exercises. If you are sitting down, try clenching your glutes together then releasing. When you are performing exercises, this is what you should be doing each and every time! This will help active the glute fibers. Exercise is very mental, don’t just ‘go through the motion’ but really think about what it is you are working! This doesn’t just go for weight training, but also cardio as well! Next time you go for a walk, squeeze those glutes!
- ALWAYS push with your heels. If you workout regularly I am sure you have read somewhere or a trainer had told you that when you squat always push through your heels, not your toes. If you push with the balls of your feet), there will be greater tension on your thighs and quads. By Focusing on you heels, more tension will go through the back of the thighs and to your glutes. For example, when you're doing lunges, try to raise the toes of your front foot off the ground. This removes tension from the front and focuses more on the heel. This will, in turn, send more tension to the glutes, making them work much harder.
- Visualize ‘sitting back’ when you are squatting. This is the same idea as tip #2, where more tension will be placed on the back of the thighs and glutes. When you lean forward, this will put more tension on the front part of your quadriceps. When performing a lunge, don’t let your body go forward and certainly do not let your knee pass your toe (this means that you are not ‘sitting’ back in your heel. I always tell my clients when they are lunging to think about sitting down, and not going forward.
- Pre-Exhaust Training. The idea behind this technique is simple: first, use an exercise that works ONLY the targeted muscle. Then, immediately follow that with an exercise that works the targeted muscle as well as other muscles. What happens is that you exhaust the targeted muscle (with an isolation exercise) so by the time you get to the next exercise that uses other muscles (compound) you help to really push that first muscle even harder!
- First exercise (isolation movement) would be a standing cable kick back which minimizes the involvement of assisting muscles and allows you to target your glutes
- Second exercise (compound movement) Walking lunges, which focus on glutes, quads and hamstrings
- Perform these exercises BACK TO BACK with no rest!
- For the compouexercise try using a fairly high resistance for you to be able to perform 8-12 reps per set, which is the muscle building category
Naomi's Glute Burning routine
Time or Reps
12 each leg
Jumping alternating Lunges
Squats in place
Power Squats (AKA jump squats)
1 legged bridges
15 pulses each leg
Running in place FAST
REPEAT THE WHOLE CIRCUIT 2 OR 3 TIMES!
- What is your favorite GLUTE burning exercise or activity?! I love power squats!!
- What have you healthified recently? I healthified a frappucino!
- Favorite SCENT? I love anything tropical and lavender