I always love to try new things. I love new foods, new experiences, traveling to new places--It all excites me and makes me nervous at the same time. Its no fun to be scared of life so I try to take advantage and try everything that gets put in front of me. One thing I have always wanted to do and still do before the day I die is sky dive.
How beautiful and fun does this look? I will do this by the time I hit 80 (source)
Like I said, I will never turn down something new, which includes foods. I got sent these new Vega Shake and go Smoothie mixes!
Vanilla Almondilla and Choc-a-lot. Before I tried these, I knew they would be incredible. I love the Vega Products and since being on my new plant based kick, this was the perfect package to recieve.
Each serving of Vega Shake & Go Smoothie includes:
- Two servings of veggies
- 2500 mg Omega-3-6-9
- 11 g complete protein
- Only 100 calories
- 1 billion probiotics cultures
They are made exclusively from all natural plant-based whole foods. Alkaline-forming and easy to digest, it provides premium nutrition in a convenient, affordable, on-the-go format. Clean, green, and 65% raw organic, Shake & Go Smoothie contains no common allergens, including corn, dairy gluten, soy, wheat and yeast. And it has only 6 grams of sugar!
Formulated by Brendan Brazier, vegan, professional Ironman triathlete and bestselling author on performance nutrition, Vega Shake & Go Smoothie offers plant-based super food goodness you expect from Vega. But unlike traditional smoothies, you only need water to shake and go. The four mouth-watering flavours of blended tropical fruits, chocolate, vanilla almond, and berries will make you forget how healthy it is. Or how easy it was to make.
First up was the Vanilla Almondilla I mixed 25g (which is one serving) with 1 C of almond milk and 4 ice cubes. Simple because I wanted to really taste the flavor! One thing I did notice was that there was no scooper in the bag! Did anyone else who got this product not have a scooper either? I was ok because I have a food scale, so I measured out 1 serving which is 25g, but what about for those that do not have food scales and just want 1 serving? hmmm...
Anyways onto the taste:
This came out as a frothy delight, perfect for the HOT afternoon we had in Boston yesterday. I loved the almond flavor, it was super strong and fragrant as well. I smelt it while it was blending up! They have done it again. I will definately be having this again soon! (probably today) I can't wait to try the Choc-a-lot
While I was in the kitchen already, I got started on a new recipe! I am LOVING this KIND diet book. The recipes are so phenomenal. This sounded perfect again, for the hot day. I picked up some frozen corn and lima beans and fresh basil to make this. I left out the Earth Balance Butter mainly because I didn't have it, but also because I didn't really need butter in this dish.
I sauteed the red onions, and added the garlic cloves afterwards
Added the lima beans, corn and tomatoes at the end as to not get them too soft, just warmed through. I let the flavors come together then took it off the stove to cool. I added the fresh basil, lemon juice (which wasn't on the recipe page) and Ume Plum vinegar (not the white or red balsamic) I liked how I made this recipe "OnefitFoodie-ed"
It came out SO perfect and geogeous!! I am so making this for my family, they would love it!
It looks just like the book (ok, kind of like the book) but pretty darn close
The basil and sauteed garlic and onion just came together beautifully, and there was a hint of fresh lemon flavor. This is the perfect summer salad and could also be made with any bean! I would make this with eddamame as well
Dinner featured my new Summer Succotash atop a tupperware salad.
- diced tofu (about 3 oz)
- goat cheese
I made kale chips on the side! I LOVE these and haven't had them in so long! Mainly because I share my fridge with my roomates and it gets tight in there, so a huge bunch of kale takes up a lot of space, but when I buy it and make it the same day, it works out! I topped it with nooch
Just like dorito's, right?
This morning was Max Cardio Insanity and it was a butt kicker, per usual. 2 eggwhites were eaten quickly after and a slug of Orange Juice. I had some oats, that was nothing new there!
Oats and some berries and 1/2 banana with chia and Sun Warrior
PB Maple Protein Muffin around 11 am
Siggis!! This was Pomegrante and Passion Fruit Flavor. Because these guys are so expensive, I think of them as a treat, which makes them even better!! Although I still have some coupons, I know they won't last long, so thinking of them as really something special makes eating it more enjoyable. I also had about 14 almonds for some added fat
I came home and got crackin on lunch. I bought LOCAL lettuce yesterday!! I was so psyched. I love supporting local farmers. It totally tastes different too. The lettuce was buttery and delicious
I made a delicious salad with some leftover Summer Succotash, local lettuce, red bell pepper, cucumber, shrooms and fresh mint
Fresh herbs take something from zero to hero!
and some tofu salad atop a slice of ezekial bread with sprouts.
Why you may not be working as hard as you could be in the gym:
- Attached to your phone: When you workout, you are multitasking at the same time, bringing your phone around with you in the weight room, or in the cup holder on your elliptical. Heres a tip-leave the phone in the car or even better, at home, this way you and your mind will be 100% IN IT. You will be more motivated and less distracted. Just think of how much harder you could be working, and how much time after your workout you have to make those plans. Be in the moment
- Reading that good book: I get it, you want to finish the great book you are reading and you also want to workout, so what better idea than to read your book ON the elliptical. Well studies show that you are less likely to work as hard if you are fixated on the words on the page. You may not be utilizing your muscles and body as you could be if you were just grooving out to your music and visualizing dominated that machine. Try downloading some new music ( I have some great suggestions on my workout/exercise page under SPIN PLAYLISTS) and having your Ipod or MP3 player the only thing in front of you (and that doesn't mean watching a movie on it)
- You want to catch up with a friend: I really do understand that working out can be social and a time to bond with your friend (s) however, talking while working out could be holding you back from working hard and getting the most bang for your buck. When you are working out at a high intensity, you should not be able to carry a conversation with a person next to you. Try this next time you are at the gym. If you do go with a friend and have a hard time telling him or her you want to be alone, when you two get on the machines, just politely ask if its okay for you to listen to music instead, and then you can talk during your cool down or stretches. I am sure they would understand!
- BOTTOM LINE: BE IN THE MOMENT AND JUST IMAGINE YOUR BODY'S POTENTIAL! IT CAN TAKE YOU FAR
- What is your tip for getting the most out of your workout?
- Do you like trying new things? What is the latest thing you have tried?
- What is your favorite bean?
Song of the day