First of all thank you all SO much for your sweet comments about the photoshoot. I know i didn;t really talk about it much or give an introduction, but basically the Friday before my Fitness Competition, I had a photoshoot! I had my hair and makeup done by the glam squad that was there and I shot with the amazing Jason Halbert. He did such a fabulous job, and as a newbie, I felt completely comfortable!! I can't wait to do more!
The bikini is from Chynadolls.com and I ordered it without trying it on so I was very nervous. I LOVED this suit and highly recommend their bikinis! They also have a section where you can customize and create your very own bikini! How cool is that?
I have also gotten many emails and comments about the sports bra I was wearing. I found it while browsing some fitness shops online, I saw it and fell IN LOVE. It is by a Brazilian company called "Up Vibe" and it is called the Spider Top SO there ya go!
So switching gears a bit, I have had some requests for workouts, upper, lower, my favorites so I thought that I would start a little series here of some of my favorite workouts. I will try to split it up with different body parts, how I warm up, cool down and some favorite healthy ‘on the go’ snacks as well!
I know a few days ago I posted a "Bootylicious" workout (which you should totally try its awesome!!) And today I thought I would share ANOTHER leg exercise. Whenever I talk to ladies who compete or take their fitness very seriously, we are all always on the lookout for an amazing leg workout, so I figured the more the merrier, right?
I know we are all looking for the most effective and efficient workouts that leave you feeling great, but not overworked. Too many times I see people spend 1.5 + hours in the gym and I wonder what they are doing the whole time because really, an effective workout should not be long in duration but rather high in intensity and focus. By adding that increased intensity, there is no need for workouts to drag on over 2 hours!
Ah today we will be talking about Leg day. Ah brutal leg day. At least for me, it is one of my least favorite weight training days but I know the importance of it—there is also no better feeling than leaving the gym after a kick ass leg workout!
Many people fear that by performing strengthening exercises for the legs, they will end up with tough, masculine-looking legs. It simply isn’t possible! When legs become strong they become lean and beautiful, not big and bulky. Cardio training is a great way to condition the legs while burning fat and calories at the same time, but cardio alone will not shape and define your legs without the assistance of exercises directed specifically at the muscles that make the legs work. Fit this easy routine into your weekly exercise schedule and soon your legs will be the talk of the town!
Here is a great leg work out that I rotate into my monthly leg routine (note** this is a more advanced leg work out so if you are a beginner, please consult a trainer at your gym before taking part in this workout . I do this as a superset workout so you will see "1 and 1A" this means I just superset these two exercise, go through them for the desired sets and reps and the move onto the next circuit!
**You can also feel free to do parts of this workout or drop the number of sets depending on your fitness level)
SEXY SLIM STRONG LEG ROUTINE
1. Leg extension 3x15 reps
1A. Single leg DB dead lifts 3x15 reps
2. Leg press (feet a little wider than shoulder width)4x15 reps
2A. Jump squat w/ pulse 4x15 reps
3. Walking Barbell Lunges 4x 12-15 reps each leg
3A. Step ups (holding DB if you want) 3x15 each leg
End with this LEG + ABS circuit (ALL BODY WEIGHT)
- backwards lunges (20 each leg)
- Stability ball roll outs: (15)
- Frontward lunges (20 each leg
- Quick squats (20)
- Plank on stability ball: (1 min)
- Jump Lunges (10 each leg)
- Russian twists: 20 each side
REPEAT 1-3 times
And here are some examples of some delicious snacks/meals for you to prepare when you are in a 'funk' or need some new ideas! The key point to these meals is that there is a complex carbohydrate, a lean protein and a source of healthy fat to keep you satiated.
1.) Oatmeal, protein powder or egg whites, ½ Apple or grapefruit
2.) 3oz tuna (packed in water) ¼ avocado, salsa on2 rice cakes
3.) 3oz chicken, turkey or lean beef mixed with spinach or other veggie, ½ C cooked quinoa, topped with sea salt, italian seasoning and pepper
4.) 0% plain greek yogurt topped with raw oats, almonds, cinnamon and stevia
5.) Whole wheat wrap with 1 T all natural PB, 3 egg whites, cinnamon, stevia
6) ½ C frozen mangos topped with 1 T coconut oil, sprinkled with raw oats and cinnamon<---AMAZING
7) 100% whey protein powder mixed with ½ C almond milk, ice, water, stir in raw oats. ½ Grapefruit or apple.
8) 1 scoop casein protein mixed with 1 T coconut oil, flax oil, nut butter and enough water to make a 'paste' Freeze for 15 minutes=Protein Sludge <----best bedtime snack! (I have been using Optimum Nutrition Chocolate Supreme Casein Protein)
I also recieved an email about my ABSOLUTE STAPLES in my diet. I think that is how the woman actually put it and it made me laugh for some reason! I like to vary up my food as much as possible, however with that said there are certain food items you can ALWAYS find in my fridge or pantries!
TONS of fruit and veggies. All of the time. Frozen and fresh you name it, I have it (or will be having it soon!)
- Kale, spinach, collard greens, romaine, mustard greens
- Green beans
- Red pepper
- Apples--My favorite are Jazz and Pink Lady currently!
- berries of all kinds
- Cherries (not yet but I can't wait!)
- Plums and peaches (not yet but I can't wait either!)
Protein for Protein Shakes!
- 1 Scoop Isopure Strawberry protein powder
- 1 T unsweetened cocoa powder
- 5 ice cubs
- 1/2 C almond milk + 1 C water
Right now, I have some Isopure Strawberries and cream, as well as Optimum Nutrition Banana. I also have Muscle Gauge Nutrition Ice cream sandwich and Optimum Nutrition Casein chocolate supreme! I am on the hunt for a GOOD vanilla protein--suggestions suggestions please!
Like I said, Lots of veggies!
To which I have my all time favorite snack: Greek yogurt + Quinoa + strawberries + cinnamon
Salsa!!! I love salsa on veggies and on the side to dip my chicken or beef into! I just got this 'new to me' salsa from Trader Joes and I highly recommend it. It tastes nothing like bottled salsa. It is fresh chopped with lots of big hunks of tomato, onion and spices!
- Persian Cucumbers
- Green onion (I love dicing these up and tossing them on my salads!)
- Flax oil
- Caramel Flax oil (I also have tried the coconut and banana) I LOVE these Royal harvest flavored flax oils! I found them at my local Whole Foods
- Udo's Oil blend
- Almond butter--not pictured (My favorite is Blue Diamond Brand--from Whole Foods)
- Chunky PB--not pictured (My favorite is Teddy Brand from your local supermaket)
Mustard--because well I throw it on everything I eat! (almost everything!)
I have also become a huge coconut water fan! I never really was, and I started drinking it when I did hot yoga and fell in LOVE with it! Sometimes, I will have a few swigs before I do morning cardio and it really just gives me that energy boost I need and never weighs me down. I love the light taste of it!
TONS of spices.
- Italian seasoning
- TJs 21 salute seasoning
- Garlic Powder
- Various Mrs Dash (I love the italian blend and garlic and herb)
- Sea salt--Don't fear salt people! For as much as I work out and drink water, our bodies need those electrolytes. I always was 'scared' of putting salt on my food--now, I embrace it and feel awesome! it helps a ton with recovery and cramping as well
Vinegars to make salad dressings. I also use Balsamic and Braggs Liquid aminos
Some goodies!--homemade granola!
- Chicken breasts
- Fish (shrimp, white fish, scallops, salmon)
- Lean ground beef
- Lean ground turkey to make Turkey meatloaf!
Nuts and seeds!
- Sunflower seeds
- Copious amounts of coffee and tea
- Lemons to flavor my aqua
- Grains like brown rice (I have the frozen kind from Trader Joes) and quinoa
- Sweet potatoes (I have a HUGE bag from Trader Joes)
- squash--right now I have kabocha and frozen butternut squash
Questions of the day:
What is one thing you pretty much eat everyday? Do you ever get sick of it?
Leg day-Love it or hate it?