Happy Friday! Thank you all so much for the amazing feedback on my last post, Improve your Health and Wellbeing. I was overflowed with emails, tweets, comments...so thank you.
I have been busy cooking up in the kitchen since having some downtime. You all KNOW my favorite room in any house is the kitchen...I could get lost there for hours. I was grateful to have some time to focus on one of my favorite hobbies this week; cooking!
The other night, I was craving pasta and lemon. Personally, I think that pasta, chicken and lemon go extremely well together. I always loved the combination. Fresh, clean, light flavors, spring time...it was just what I wanted.
I started by sauteing up some red bell pepper, diced asparagus, yellow squash, zucchini and mushrooms in olive oil
Once they started heating up, I added the juice of one whole lemon and half of the lemon zest. I also added about 1 T of capers (I LOVE the saltiness they add to this dish)
I took out the large container of Parmesan cheese, ready to top my pasta with when it was done
Right towards the end, I decided to add some spinach and precooked chicken. I choose not to add it in the beginning because I wanted it just perfectly wilted and if I cooked it with the rest of the veggies from the start, it would have been way overcooked and soggy.
While the veggies were cooking, I was boiling some brown rice pasta in a separate pot. I added the pasta to the veggies, gave it a little toss with a bit of white wine and voila! Dinner was served
I served the pasta in a bowl and topped it with some Parmesan cheese
It was SO good and just what my body needed.
Springtime Lemon Chicken Pasta
- 1 serving pasta of choice
- 3-5oz precooked chicken (can sub tofu or steak or not use any at all)
- 1/2 T olive oil
- 1/3 C each zucchini, yellow squash, asparagus; all diced
- 3 diced mushrooms
- 1 T capers and 1/2 T caper juice
- Juice of 1 whole lemon
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- Handful fresh spinach
- 2 T Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Begin by cooking the pasta according to the directions on the box and set aside.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, start to cook the zucchini, squash, asparagus and mushrooms in the olive oil. After a few minutes, add in the lemon juice, lemon zest, capers and caper juice
- Once the vegetables are tender and 3/4 done, add in the fresh spinach and pre-cooked chicken. Combine all of the vegetables and chicken well and add any additional lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste
- Add in the cooked pasta and toss together.
- Serve immediately and top with fresh Parmesan cheese.
Want another recipe? Okay! I had this for breakfast yesterday morning after perusing Pinterest for way too long the night before. Carrot Cake Oatmeal!
Carrot Cake Oatmeal
- 1/3 C oatmeal or oatbran of choice (I used regular Quaker Oats)
- 1/4 C diced carrots (I bought mine pre diced, but you can dice yourself if you like)
- 1 C water
- 1/2 C almond, skim or soy milk
- 1/3 banana, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp coconut extract (optional)
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Stevia, maple syrup or brown sugar to taste
- Place the oatmeal, carrots, banana, water, and milk in a small pot and place over medium heat. Let the mixture come to a boil and reduce to a slow simmer until the water is absorbed.
- Add in the cinnamon, nutmeg, coconut extract, vanilla extract, coconut oil and sweetner of choice to the pot and stir well.
- Crack the egg right into the pot and mix well with a fork until the egg begins to cook through.
- Cover and let all of the flavors combine for a few more minutes
- Serve immediately!
I hope you enjoy these fresh, healthy recipes!! Now, I am off to enjoy the day, grateful that the sun is shining and I am feeling good